Funding your Care

If you are looking for a care assistant to help you with general day-to-day living such as personal care or domestic services, then you can apply to your local authority for social care funding

Currently, the Leicestershire County Council say that if you have more than £23,250 in savings and assets you’ll have to pay the full cost of a care package. If you have less than £14,250 in savings and assetts then these will not be counted when they work out how much you will need to pay. 

If you have savings and assets between £14,250 and £23,250, you will pay £1 towards your care for every £250 of your savings and assets.

When working out your income, they do not include most benefit allowances such as State Pension and State Credits, income from personal or occupational pension, the care part of the DLA, Attendance Allowance etc. 

For more information on how they work it out, you can visit the Leicestershire County Council's website by clicking here

If you qualify for funding after a financial assessment, then you will receive an amount of money towards your care. This is called a Personal Budget

A Managed Budget is where the Local Authority will hold onto the money they will contribute and buy your care for you. Your care provider will invoice they local authority and then the local authority will invoice you for the balance. 

The local authority will first do a financial assessment and also help you to decide on a care plan. 1st Choice can send a trained member of staff to assist you in this and help to agree a care package. 

Once they have completed a financial assessment, then you will need to 

A Direct Payment, formerly know as a cash payment, is where the Leicestershire County Council will pay some money towards your care based on a financial assessment and you will pay the balance. Both you or a dedicated person responsible for organising your care and the local authority will pay money directly into a dedicated bank account. You will then be invoiced by the care provider and the money will be taken out of your dedicated account. 

There are a few ways you can set this up. 

You, or the person responsible for organising your care, can arrange a new bank account that is used solely for funding your care. You will need to keep a record of the money that is coming in and out of this account to make sure that you have enough to pay for the cost of your care. This will then be reviewed periodically by the local auhtority and your care provider to make sure that you are getting the best service. You can also get your direct payment paid to a third-party person, carer or organisation that runs a payment service to set up and manage an account for you. 

or - 

Provider Managed Account (PMA)

With a Provider Managed Account, your Direct Payment will be paid directly to your care agency. The care agency can then manage a bank account for you and collect the money from the Local Authority and invoice you based on actual cost of care.

1st Choice Nursing and Care Services currently work with the local authority to setup Provider Managed Accounts.